BACK TO GALLERY
The boat struck the rocks at the "Little Jetties" in Jacksonville, Florida slicing out an 8+ foot gash in the Starboard side and sinking it not far from the scene up to the bottom of the fly bridge. After being bought out of salvage the boat is undergoing extensive re-do by the new owner. By the time I was hired for the fiberglass repair the whole boat had been cleaned up from the muck of the sinking, wiring had been re-done, the engines and other mechanical apparatus had been pulled and it was starting to look more like the motor yacht it was before. The work goes on, along with a few modifications from the new owner to make it his own.
All the repairs were done with Vinyl Ester resin. There was no coring in the hull. The thickness was achieved by alternating layers of 1 1/2 oz. chop mat and 1808 bi-axle mat. The scarf was ground back 8" for a hull thickness of a tad better than 3/8". The white straps in picts 6 - 7 were used to pull the side back into alignment. I used 3/16 polypropylene board heated and molded to size to do the bands (10 -12) and get the shape of the hull. After that it was just fill in the blanks. I faired and sealed it with a white Gel Coat.
41' PDQ Catamaran
Aft end of gash on STB side, those are tanks just inside.
Middle of gash, the rough edges have been cut back...
Forward end of gash, measures a bit over 8' long.
Banded it to pull the hull back into shape.
Ground out the scarf about 8".
Hull is only 3/8" is the reason for the large scarf.
Ready for the tie in...
Layering the bands in ...
...waiting for the cure.
Ready to take the plastic out.
The layered repair...
View from below...
Close up of layering...
...ready to sand down.
Cleaned off the dust..
It was a big hole.
Sanded down and ready for Gel coat.
1st gel coat...
Sanded and faired
Checking the hull line
Looks pretty straight on...
Ready for primer and bottom paint.
1 - 25
After knocking a hole in the side she bounced over the rock leaving a nice scare in the bottom behind the impact point. It's just a couple of feet back and the skeg snagged taking a bite out. I patched a swath or two of the gouge with the Vinyl Ester and then faired it back out as the rest of the damage was just in the gel coat.
The skeg took a pretty good wallop but thanks to its solid construction it saved the prop and shaft. Once the fractured glass was removed I tapered it all back a good piece and built it back up again using the layered 1 1/2 oz. chop and bi-axle mat. After a bit of shaping she started to resemble a skeg again. Again the final is a coating and sealing in white gel coat ready to prime and bottom paint.
After the gash it gouged a nice grove in the gel coat going aft.
Then it snagged the skeg.
Ground out all the damage and started building...
A coat of gel coat and she's ready to bottom coat.
6 - 6
As the boat went down the flotation of the dingy lifted the davits up busting them off of the boat. Designed to life the dingy, they could not hold the weight of the whole boat. The rails were integrated and suffered the same.
I cut away the bad parts and made new parts to fit on a layout board, glassing them in inside and out. Using the old hardware for a template I built and ground until I had the original shape back. The rest is a matter of finish and drilling new holes.
Surveying the damage to the Davit Mounts and other...
Port side mount
Port side looking down, SS plate was ripped right up.
Still Port side...
Rail was attached to davits, pulled it up too.
Just like dominos...
STB Stair rail mount
Port stair rail mount
STB Davit mount
STB, added a new top, scarfed back 5" and started building.
Port side, still building..
Port side from the back.
STB side from the back
Added color to resin on next layer to help level sand.
Getting close, my repair is much stronger than original piece.
Shaping of corners like icing a cake.
Shape matches hardware now just waiting for cure to finish.
Line looks good
Other side good too.
22 - 22
BACK TO TOP
G. W. COWAN
Creative & Marine Services
Copyright 2019, All Rights Reservrd